For the profiteroles
- 80g unsalted butter
- 30g unrefined caster sugar
- 150g plain 00 flour
- 250ml water
- 4 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 vanilla pod
- A pinch of fine sea salt
For the cream
- 6 teaspoons pistachio paste
- 450ml double cream or coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons unrefined icing sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
For the chocolate sauce
- 200ml double cream
- 60g unrefined caster sugar
- 110g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
- 1 teaspoon soft unsalted butter
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- First, make the profiteroles. Heat the butter, sugar and flour in a saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until the butter is melted and the sugar dissolved and you have a paste – this will take about two minutes.
- Add 250ml water, a little at a time, stirring with a wooden spoon, and cook for four to five minutes. Once all the water has been incorporated, pour the batter into the bowl of a stand mixer and beat on a high speed.
- Slowly add the beaten eggs to the mixer bowl, beating until well combined.
- Split the vanilla pod in half lengthways, scrape out the seeds with the back of a knife and add them to the mixer bowl along with the salt.
- Pour the batter into a large bowl and leave to cool completely. Cover with cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius, and line two baking trays with baking parchment. Put the batter in a piping bag and pipe 20 small balls on the lined trays. Bake for about 20 minutes, until the profiteroles are golden and puffed.
- Remove and allow to cool enough to handle. Then use a skewer or cocktail stick to pierce a 1cm-wide hole in the base of each profiterole. Then leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Once the profiteroles are cooled, make the cream. Place all the ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer, or use an electric handheld mixer, and whisk until you have a thick cream. Put the cream in a piping bag and pipe it into the holes in the profiteroles.
- Next, make the chocolate sauce. Heat the cream and sugar in a sauce- pan over a medium heat for 3 minutes, until the sugar has dissolved. Add the chocolate and butter, and stir until melted.
- Dust the profiteroles with icing sugar and drizzle with the hot sauce.